Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Background -
Alexi and Eastmountainsouth


I remember hearing KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic for my first time back in 2003 when searching one of my favorite artists, Alexi Murdoch. As the show's host announced that Kat Maslich and Peter Adams would be singing backup for Alexi's studio performance, I was blown away at again, how it seemed that all of my favorite artists were friends with eachother. Kat and Pete were members of Eastmountainsouth and have unfortunately decided to follow different paths since. They did produce one hit that had significant radio play ("You Dance") and many of their catchy and heart-felt songs landed on numerous television shows.

Alexi Murdoch (with Eastmountainsouth) - Light Shine

Alexi debuted a song during his 2002 KCRW performance that may not have an official name and is not on any of his albums to date. I have heard through rumors amongst fans that it may be called "Light Shine." I have seen him perform a handful of times and each time Alexi belts this simple ballad out, it takes on a slightly different meaning to me, although he made it clear that it has nothing to do with religion. What are your thoughts?

No comments: