Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Tip 3 of 3:
Here We Go Magic

Ah...this is a head's up kick to my ears courtesy of my co-worker Jason that sits just across the office from me. Now hear me out...my taste in music differs greatly from those that work around me. They are fans of Hall & Oates, any indie band that hasn't been formed yet, 311, and Lyle Lovett. Not too bad. But I get the stereotype as the light-hearted hippie due to my general love of bluegrass and singer-songwriters. All too often Jason and my other co-workers bring my "perfect" song to me to no avail as I find I can't stand the whiny voice, the fake lyrics or the lackluster "uuumph" in the song. They all too often bring me the extreme of what I'm not. I mean, I love the singer-songwriter but there has to be that spark, that indie beat, that pizaaz to really catch my ear. Well, all that does lead up to this: A few days ago, Jason brought me another song I knew I was going to throw out. Within 4 seconds of him debuting the song, I was hooked. Completely hooked.

Take Paul Simon, a touch of what Vampire Weekend started and pepper in some Hot Chip, Animal Collective/Panda Bear and maybe some Sigur Ros acoustics.

Here We Go Magic - Only Pieces



Here We Go Magic is their name. The longing build-up, the mysterious yet simplistic lyrics, the muffled and metallic sound...they all build with a sense of sustained urgency that makes me want a final clash of fireworks...a huge crescendo. But it never comes and for the first time, I'm OK with the building anticipations they offer with no resting conclusion. I have yet see hear their whole catalog, but I have not found a song by Here We Go Magic that was average, ordinary or that didn't receive countless repeats on my speakers.

Here We Go Magic - Tunnel Vision

Here We Go Magic released their self-titled album over a month ago courtesy of Western Vinyl, but it's still damn hard to find the inside scoop on them. Who are they? Rather, who is he? Luke Temple, a folk/rock singer-songwriter and graduate of School of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, who has songs on Grey's Anatomy and opened for Guster, now lends his name to this band who is set to open up for Grizzly Bear on a national tour. Temple is responsible for the recording process though he brings on some cohorts for live performances. And no thanks to them, they are NOT stopping in my neck of the woods this go-round. Go figure.

No comments: