Friday, July 11, 2008

Better Late Than Never with Spoon

I've heard the album before, I've heard all* the tracks and I'm a fan of the group. How did I not hear the last track? At times it's frustrating or embarrassing but at other times, it's a pleasant surprise to discover a "new" song that's been out for several years from a band you know.

I was climbing with Matt early yesterday morning before work and unfortunately for him, the second he got on the wall, loud techno music would play which isn't necessarily his cup of tea to say the least. Each time I roped up, a soundtrack full of indie-alt music would begin. Despite the climbing soundtrack, he still managed to monkey up the wall more efficiently and effortlessly...maybe due to the animosity the techno built up inside of him. I digress...As I was starting a new route, a song came on with a familiar voice but then the tempo abnormally slowed down as a voice that was similar to Robert Plant's began a crescendo with the beats. Embarrassed as I asked the gym DJ who it was, I found out the voice was Britt Daniel and Eric Harvey of Spoon.





Austin-based Spoon has been on the scene for several years now and recently stepped into the spotlight by providing the bulk of the soundtrack for Will Ferrell's Stranger Than Fiction. You may have seen them recently on SNL or on any of the Late Shows due to their recent album, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. If you're in Denver in two weeks, they'll be a main act at The Mile High Music Festival on Saturday. This "new" song is the last track on their 2002 release, Kill The Moonlight, from Merge Records.

No comments: