Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I will now sell 5 copies of
The Three E.P.'s by The Beta Band

Yes, it's my favorite comedy by a long shot and I could easily pull 50 blog posts about topics covered in this film. Yet another Nick Hornby novel-turned-film, High Fidelity was released in 2000 and still causes me to quote lines from it every day at work and seek some of the obscure artists Hornby re-introduces. Jack Black and John Cusack capture the perfect music guru/snob persona that we each encounter at **fill in your local indie record store here**. This past weekend, I drove to Gunnison for a few days of fun in the sun and when the Beta Band's "Dry The Rain" came on during my car time, I couldn't help but laugh out loud and think of the one guy in this scene bobbing his head as the groove hit him.


The Beta Band were a British band that have roots in Scotland as well. I say "were" because they broke up in 2004 after a farewell tour. Though much of their earlier music was never publicly noticed or played, the band had a cult following through their quirkiness, bubble-pop rap songs, antics and the slight publicity that their live shows and first EPs stirred. Not long after High Fidelity was released, more magazines and college radio stations took notice and now you can hear one of their songs every commercial break on any given major television station. The Three E.P.'s was released on Astralwerks in 1999 and lead off with my favorite track by the Beta Band

Beta Band - Dry The Rain




And don't worry, here's a little extra bonus song for you. Remember the group Sonic Death Monkey or Kathleen Turner Overdrive or Barry Jive And The Uptown Five?

No comments: